This strategy will help students to:
- Demonstrate that they have understood new learning in a lesson
- Helps students remember and reflect on what they have learnt
- Promotes students using new terminology
- At the end of a lesson the teacher instructs students to summarise a key concept taught in the lesson on a post-it note.
- The teacher collects the “ticket” as students leave the class.
- The teacher skims through the student-generated summaries to determine what, if anything, needs to be retaught the following lesson.
- The tickets are retuned in the following lesson so that students can use them as a reference in the future.
Teachers could also ask for diagrams or drawings instead.