This strategy will help students to:
- demonstrate their prior knowledge about a topic
This strategy will help teachers to:
- Formatively assess student readiness to learn a particular skill
- students are put into groups and each student in the group is given a sheet of paper with a different topic or a question written at the top of the page.
- They are then given a short length of time to brainstorm and write down all the key points they can think of that are related to the topic before passing their paper on to the next person
- Each time they receive a new topic the students read what is already written and add their statements. Key points cannot be repeated.
- The paper keeps getting passed around until it arrives back with its original owner.
Watch the Hot Potato Strategy in action https://player.vimeo.com/video/260354314“>HERE.